LEAD ENVIRONMENT ARTIST
Midwinter is looking for a full-time Environment Artist to join our talented development team! We are based in Seattle, but currently operating remotely throughout the West Coast. This is a lead level position that requires technical knowledge and shipped game experience in Unreal Engine 4.
We are a small team of artists, designers and engineers working on something awesome. If you are passionate about beautiful environments, have a great looking portfolio and often find yourself getting under the hood in UE4, we'd love to hear from you!
As a Lead Environment Artist, you will partner directly with designers, artists and engineers to develop and optimize the beautiful frozen wasteland in Scavengers. You will be working directly in Unreal Engine 4 editor with special attention on the Material Editor, Foliage Tools, Landscape Materials and in Blueprint.
- Generate benchmark quality, highly performant realtime Assets and Materials in UE4.
- Review and optimize environment art for high performance on a wide array of GPU's.
- Plan outsourcing assignments, review and approve incoming work from Outsource Partners for consistency and quality.
- Work closely with many disciplines on a small, nimble and highly experienced team.
- Help establish World Art workflow and pipelines and create inhouse tools with Unreal Engine Blueprints.
- Organize, track, and scope the work for yourself and the world art team members.
- Lead an environment team, which includes regular check-ins with team members, providing direction, and mentoring other team members.
- Help create a positive and creative work environment for yourself and your peers.
- Familiarity with modular level construction.
- Ability to reuse existing assets in interesting and creative ways.
- Solid understanding of performance and GPU rendering for creating optimized realtime content in large, streamed worlds.
- Deep knowledge of Unreal Engine 4, with attention towards Landscapes, Foliage, Collision Systems, Material Editor, Node Based Shader Construction and Blueprint Design.
- Experience developing tools to support Procedurally Generated Content.
- Attention to detail and beauty as demonstrated in a world-class art portfolio.
- Outstanding communication and collaboration skills.
- Experience supporting environment art in a live, operating service is a plus.
- Ability to help develop and consistently execute an art directed visual style.
- Ability to scope and track major parts of the World Art content, and identify and communicate production risks.
- Experience using Houdini software is a plus.
While we think the above experience could be important, we’re keen to hear from people who believe they have valuable experience to bring to the role. If you identify with the team and mission, but not all of our requirements, then please still apply!!
COVID-19 Studio Guidelines
The health, safety, and well being of our team members is of the utmost importance to our studio. As such, we have transitioned to remote work by default until a time at which we can safely return to the office. This means that all interviews, "onsite" interviews, office tours, and onboarding will be done over video conference (or phone).
We also recognize the impact the pandemic is having on all of us personally, and work hard to create a culture where mental health and wellness are valued and supported. If you have any questions or concerns about our studio policy, please don't hesitate to raise them with your recruiter.
JOIN US AND WE'LL KEEP WARM TOGETHER!
Midwinter Entertainment, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.